How do I qualify for a personal injury claim against the Road Accident Fund?

If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident within the borders of South Africa, you may have a claim against the Road Accident Fund to compensate you for the injuries you sustained.  As long as you were not the cause of the accident, and that you are injured as a result of the accident, you are entitled to a compensation from the Road Accident Fund.  How much the value of your award is dependant on the severity of your injuries.

Can the dependants of the deceased claim Loss of Support regardless of whether the deceased was a pedestrian, driver or passenger?

YES: The dependants of all of these types of road-users involved in a motor vehicle accident may claim, provided we can prove 1% negligence on the part of the other driver.

Who, exactly, may claim Loss of Support?

LOSS OF SUPPORT:  Spouses, biological children, indigent parents, minors, siblings who are orphans
FUNERAL EXPENSES: The person responsible for paying the costs of the the funeral provided that an itemized funeral invoice can be obtained as well as proof of payment.
PAST MEDICAL EXPENSES:  The person responsible for the deceased’s medical expenses – usually either the surviving spouse, or the deceased’s medical aid may claim for these costs incurred.